Episode 46 - Finding Our Voice and Not Taking No for an Answer with Hitha PalepuMay 17, 2022
Being a prominent woman in power is not easy. You are constantly scrutinized by the media, and there are plenty of bad-faith actors who will criticize you no matter what you do. Nowhere is this judgment more apparent than with the experience of Kamala Harris, Vice President of the United States and the first woman of color to hold this esteemed level of office. Today on the Potential to Powerhouse Podcast, we speak with Hitha Palepu, mother of two, CEO of Rhoshan Pharmaceuticals, early-stage investor, and author of the new book We’re Speaking: The Life Lessons of Kamala Harris. With so much going on in her life, it’s no wonder that Hitha calls herself a multi-hyphenate. Tuning in you’ll hear from Hitha about her journey as the only child of immigrant parents, how feminism has shaped her, and how she continues to navigate the many facets of her life and career. Learn about the life-saving product that is being developed by Rhoshan Pharmaceuticals, what it was like writing a book in two-and-a-half months, and why she dedicated it to the women who won’t take no for an answer. We also talk about the limiting beliefs that society puts on women, the crucial role that women play in the economy, and why it’s time for women to speak their truth. Be sure to tune in for this inspiring conversation!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Learn why Hitha describes herself as a multi-hyphenate, and what she is focusing on for this chapter of her life
- An intro to Rhoshan Pharmaceuticals
- Hitha’s experiences as the child of immigrant parents and what made them feminists
- How Hitha became involved with pharmaceutical development
- The story of how Hitha first tried to manifest her husband and the valuable advice her cousin’s wife gave her
- Intergenerational views on women, intimacy, marriage, and dating, no matter your background, and the psychological impact this has on women
- The power of romance novels, why they deserve to be recognized, and how shows like Bridgerton are prioritizing female pleasure
- Hear about how Hitha became an author, her books How to Pack: Travel Smart for Any Trip (How To Series) and We’re Speaking: The Life Lessons of Kamala Harris, as well as her upcoming children’s book
- How Kamala Harris is portrayed in the media, and why it takes courage to serve in the public eye
- Hitha’s hopes for the future and what she is looking forward to
“We have an opportunity to drive significant change. I choose to be an optimist, and I choose to see the good and what we can do and not be burdened by what has always been.” — @HithaPalepu [0:16:14]
“[Kamala Harris] could have stayed Senator of California for a very long time and made an incredible impact as Senator. She chose to serve when the candidate and the leader of the party asked, and she chooses to show up every single day and drive change.” — @HithaPalepu [0:38:28]
“Whenever I’m feeling low or unmotivated, I actually go back and reread my book to remind myself of who I am, reconnect with stories that have always inspired me, and reread my own tips on how to get my butt to work.” — @HithaPalepu [0:38:56]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
We’re Speaking: The Life Lessons of Kamala Harris
How to Pack: Travel Smart for Any Trip (How To Series)
Join the Powerhouse Movement!
Connect with other female entrepreneurs in our Potential to Powerhouse Community on Facebook.