Episode 56 - Why It Works with Leadership and Relationship Expert Joe HirschSep 28, 2022
Dr. Joe Hirsch is an expert at helping individuals, leaders, and organizations design and deliver feedback without fear. He is now a renowned TEDx and global keynote speaker, but just seven years ago, Joe was living a very different reality in which he did everything he could to avoid receiving any feedback from anyone. Joe and Tracy’s conversation centers on what happens when we infuse our conversations and relationships with courageousness and how giving fearless feedback can really transform our future for ourselves and others. Feedforward and mirror holding are two juicy terms that you are going to want to remember and implement in all of your relationships. You are going to be on the edge of your seat when you hear about Dr. Hirsch’s groundbreaking methods and how we can all become better leaders, partners, parents, and all around better people!
- Growth hurts and it is hard. [03:24]
- Feedback starts before you even open your mouth. [06:58]
- “Feedforward” is a new way of thinking that was first introduced by Marshall Goldsmith, and Joe Hirsch uses the science and strategy to turn people into problem solvers.
- Joe Hirsch has used his practices of giving feedback with many major companies and corporations. [09:16]
- Just five to seven years ago, Joe was not someone who practiced what he is now preaching. [11:46]
- A very basic human truth we should all acknowledge to fix the future for ourselves and others
- Mirror holding is the essential act of “feedforward” and can open up new perspectives one may not have had access to before. [17:37]
- The goal of mirror holding is not to force change, but to provoke an insight. [23:09]
- How leaders can use mirror holding as an act of empowerment
- How the “forgetting curve” impacts our approach to giving feedback [28:37]
- Feedback Wrap: A four-part plan to beautifully wrap up these conversations, to change the dynamics from fear to joy, from power to partnership, and ultimately, from accountability to agency [33:44]
- Feedback is about relationships. [47:24]
“Growth hurts, growth is challenging, growth is painful. And growth pushes us past our boundaries.”
“It’s no longer about power, it’s about partnership. It’s no longer about ratings only. It’s about relationships. And it’s about activating people’s deepest desires for agency and for affirmation, and not pinning them to a past that they can’t change or control.”
“You can’t go back and change the past. But you can start right where you are and fix the future.”
Join the Powerhouse Movement!
Connect with other female entrepreneurs in our Potential to Powerhouse Community on Facebook.